Thursday, July 22, 2010

MAC - Rodarte Controversy; My Thoughts

There have been a lot of blog posts on this issue, and I just wanted to state how I feel about it. I'm not going into detail about the actual stituation as you can all read about this on the numerous other blogs. I'm leaving Rodarte's views out of the equation as I genuinelt know nothing about them.


In short, I'm disgusted with MAC and I ultimately found the collection distasteful and disrespectful. Mainly for the product names, it's impossible to mix the names "Juarez", "Factory", "Ghost Town", "Nightwalker" and "Sleepless" in an innocent fashion. There is no way MAC didn't know about the atrocities that happen in Juarez; the fact that the promo image could be seen to glorify death just cement this to me further. The model looks incredibly thin and unhealthy, I thought MAC would be the last brand to promote such a look.

With MAC's current statement on the situation of donating $100,000 to charities in and around Juarez, I'm boycotting the collection and any re-promotes resulting from it. I can't say I'll boycott MAC because I won't, but I can't bring myself to buy these products. Even if they are changing their names, the originals will always be there, the shades will always be affiliated with those names. However, should ALL of the profits (I'm considering hanging on to hear if all the PROCEEDS) from this collection are donated, I will consider buying a few of the products with the less offensive names for the sole purpose of supporting the cause. All in all, maybe they should just can the whole collection?

Of all the makeup brands I love, I really though MAC would be the last brand to do something like this. I'm not going to go overboard on the critiscism, I think that's been done, but I am truly disgusted that MAC would even think about shooting a promo shot like that, let alone releasing those product names. I'm disappointed in a brand I would consider to be my favourite.

Do any of you really want to see that photo larger than life in a shop window? I sure don't.

xoxo
Please Click Here to see a list of all other bloggers who have written on this issue, you can find all the information you need on the controversy.

And Click Here to sign the petition calling for a better response from MAC on their actions regarding this collection.

1 comment:

  1. agree with you on many points...I was surprised that MAC didn't act more proactive in all of this mess.

    I left you an award on my blog cause your blog is awesome!

    check it out
    http://productrater.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-heart-your-blog-award.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment! I really love reading and replying to what you have to say, and I honestly appreciate the time you take to leave your thoughts. However if you don't have anything nice to say or you're just here to chuck insults around, please keep it to yourself ♥

Related Posts with Thumbnails